Ninety eight railway stations have been added to the UK national railway network since 1st January 2000. All of these railway stations are listed in chronological order below with the date that they opened.
If you are looking for proposed railway stations that have not yet opened, the proposed opening dates page can be found here.
Number of railway stations open in the UK
The number of railway stations open on the national railway network is a matter of discussion because the status of some are unclear and there are different interpretations on inclusion.
The number of railway stations that this site counts as open and active is 2,579.
This is explained below.
Source of data
Office of Rail and Road utilise data returned by the train operators through the national ticketing system and publish their number as part of the estimates of station usage annually in November/December for the previous financial year (April-March). This data includes all stations served during that financial year including any that close. On 24 November 2022, the Office of Rail and Road stated that there were 2,570 stations in 21/22. This figure is then updated with any stations that open or close and then make an adjustment to account for stations whose position is unclear.
Stations that have opened
Thirteen railway stations have opened since 1 April 2022
- Canary Wharf
- Custom House
- Tottenham Court Road
- Barking Riverside
- Bond Street
- Inverness Airport
- Reading Green Park
- Marsh Barton
- Thanet Parkway
- Portway Park & Ride
- Headbolt Lane
Included in the ORR data
This website removes four railway stations that the ORR counts:
- Corfe Castle and Bishops Lydeard are on heritage railways with mainline connections and have received regular trains on a weekly basis run by train operating companies in previous years. These trains did not operate in 20/21 and none have yet operated during 21/22. These two stations were included in the 20/21 stations usage chart but they were not counted as active stations. They were not allocated a zero in the statistics
- Teesside Airport and Stanlow and Thornton railway station services were suspended in February 2022
Not included in the ORR data
There are also other railway stations that are regularly brought up when the number of railway stations in the country is discussed:
- Manchester United Football Ground has not been served by trains since 2018 at the request of the football club. Regular railway services for events or football matches are not expected to occur in the future
- IBM and Redcar British Steel have had their services removed indefinitely, although there is an expectation that both could reopen as part of redevelopment of former industrial sites near to both stations. Neither of these stations have gone through a formal closure process
- Norton Fitzwarren railway station was served by a GWR operated shuttle on 3 August 2019. It is not counted in the number of opened stations
- Barlaston and Wedgwood had their services withdrawn in 2004 and have not been included in the estimates for station usage for many years
- Angel Road was formally closed before Meridian Water opened and is effectively treated as its replacement
- Sampford Courtenay was not reopened as part of the restoration of railway services on the Okehampton railway line and there are no plans to restore services to this station.
Table of recently opened railway stations
This table does not include the railway stations that have been opened in Northern Ireland, light rail/rapid transit systems or heritage railway lines although this website provides updates on railway stations in these categories.
|Portway Park & Ride||01/08/2023||2023|
|Reading Green Park||27/05/2023||2023|
|Tottenham Court Road||24/05/2022||2022|
|Ebbw Vale Town||17/05/2015||2015|
|James Cook University Hospital||18/05/2014||2014|
|Energlyn and Churchill Park||08/12/2013||2013|
|Stratford Upon Avon Parkway||19/05/2013||2013|
|Fishguard and Goodwick||14/05/2012||2012|
|Shoreditch High Street||27/04/2010||2010|
|East Midlands Airport Parkway||26/01/2009||2009|
|Aylesbury Vale Parkway||14/12/2008||2008|
|Heathrow Terminal 5||27/03/2008||2008|
|Ebbw Vale Parkway||06/02/2008||2008|
|Risca and Pontyminster||06/02/2008||2008|
|Liverpool South Parkway||11/06/2006||2006|
|Wavertree Technology Park||13/08/2000||2000|
|Dunfermline Queen Margaret||25/01/2000||2000|
|Luton Airport Parkway||21/11/1999||1999|
|Euxton Balshaw Lane||15/12/1997||1997|
|Prestwick International Airport||05/09/1994||1994|
|Kirkby in Ashfield||17/11/1996||1996|
* Station opened for preview services on 25/10/2015