There are a number of proposed railway stations in the North East of England. If you want to find the latest news with regards to proposed railway stations and lines in the North East, click here
Located on the East Coast Mainline between Chathill and Berwick upon Tweed, this station would be north of Belford proposed below. The stations proximity to Holy Island is noted.
Located on the East Coast Mainline between Chathill and Berwick upon Tweed, the station was put forward as an opportunity to take advantage of the twice daily train service that used the crossover at Belford to reverse direction to return south.
Located on the Carlisle to Newcastle railway between Brampoton and Haltwhistle.
Located north of Newcastle upon Tyne on the ECML.
Located between Sunderland and Hartlepool, this railway station was successful in round 2 of the New Stations Fund.
This station has been put forward as an option to alleviate congestion on roads into Middlesbrough. Also known as Nunthorpe Parkway, the station would be located between Nunthorpe and Great Ayton on the Esk Valley line to Whitby.
Proposed Railway lines
Blyth and Tyne (Blyth, Ashington and Bedlington)
This major project will restore passenger train services on the network of railway lines that are currently used by freight north of Newcastle upon Tyne. The current proposals that are being progressed will see the creation of six new railway stations in two phases. Phase 1 would see railway stations created at Ashington, Bedlington, Newsham and Northumberland Park. Phase 2 would introduce railway stations at Bebside and Seaton Deleval.
There are further proposals to develop the network in this area.
- Add a further station at Seghill
- Extend local trains that terminate at Morpeth via a new station at Choppington to Bedlington
- Build an extension from Ashington to Woodhorn and Newbiggen-by-the-Sea
- Create a new link between Newsham and Blyth town centre
There are proposals to restore the railway lines between Pelaw and Ferryhill. The primary target for all proposals are station(s) serving Washington.
- Extension of the Tyne and Wear Metro to Washington, with an extension to South Hylton
- Reopening the Leamside line to heavy rail services and upgrading the Ferryhill line. This would enable the restoration of railway stations at Fence Houses and Penshaw