Two trains per hour will serve Reading after an announcement was made that Crossrail would be extended from Maidenhead. The extension will add Twyford and Reading to the Crossrail network. Four trains per hour will continue to serve Maidenhead.
The current planning assumption is that new Crossrail trains will be introduced to run Crossrail services as follows:
- Liverpool Street to Shenfield – May 2017
- Heathrow to Paddington (mainline platforms) – May 2018 (when the Crossrail concession takes over the Heathrow Connect service)
- Paddington (Crossrail platforms) to Abbey Wood – December 2018
- Paddington (Crossrail platforms) to Shenfield – May 2019
- Full through service (including services to Reading) – December 2019