Network Rail will be investigating five options to maintain the rail links with the South West following the closure of the railway line at Dawlish following the Sea Wall breech during storms.
The five options are
- Reinstate the Okehampton line (between Plymouth-Exeter, via Okehampton), which closed in 1967
- Create a new line connecting existing freight lines from Alphington (near Exeter) and Heathfield (near Newton Abbot)
- Options between Newton Abbot and Exeter (with new tunnels) – but current level of trains via Dawlish route could be maintained
- i) Exminster – Newton Abbot
- ii) Starcross – Newton Abbot
- iii) Dawlish Warren – Newton Abbot
West Devon Borough Council has advised that it supports Okehampton route.